I miss my oven, but not having one sure has stretched my imagination and cooking skills.
My latest concoction was a hit, and it’s frugal as well. To feed a family of four, you’ll need:
- One box of Stove Top Stuffing-prepared ahead of time.
- 2 chicken breasts (I actually used chicken tornadoes, because that is what I had on hand, but it would be better with real chicken breasts.
- 2 potatoes, quartered and sliced
- 1.5 cups frozen vegies (I used peas, carrots and corn)
- 1/2 package of poultry gravy mix
- Cook potatoes and vegies together until soft, drain and set aside
- Cook and dice chicken, set aside
- In your medium skillet, melt 2TBSP butter or margarine, and add chicken gravy mix and enough flour to make a roux.
- Using a whisk, add milk slowly to roux until consistency of choice. We like ours thick. I don’t measure this part, I just cook it until it looks right. It thickens fast, so keep your whisk busy.
- Turn the heat down to a low, add in cooked vegetables and chicken, and top with prepared stuffing. Cover and simmer for 5-10 minutes, then serve.