God is good, not because today’s circumstances are good, or I’m happy, or content…not because I have everything I want or need…not because my children are all walking in truth…God’s goodness is not hinged on my circumstances! Do you get that? Have you ever been fooled into thinking that because you do not have adversity, that you are seeing a picture of God’s goodness? This is a half-truth…it’s a clever lie straight from the pits of hell…if you don’t believe me, see Job.
God is good. All the time.
He is good because it is His nature to be good.
- we are disobedient – He is good
- finances are tight – He is good
- we are abused and rejected – He’s still good
- we are falsely accused – He is good
- He chooses to not give us what we ask for – it doesn’t take away His goodness…His nature has not changed by His withholding of what we consider a blessing
- we suffer financial loss…or our children walk away from the Lord, and reject everything we have tried to teach them…He remains good
There’s an old gospel hymn that comes to me in my times of sorrow and adversity, and I’m singing it today.
…and the God of the good times is still God in the bad times. The God of the day is still God in the night!